What are bite splints?
Bite splints are also known as bite guards or night guards. The bite splint fits over your teeth and
prevents you from grinding and clenching your teeth. Typically worn only at night while sleeping, a bite guard is used to treat bruxism (teeth grinding and clenching). We provide night guards in Kimball, Michigan, to alleviate the painful symptoms of bruxism and to prevent further damage.
What are the signs and symptoms of bruxism?
You may suffer from bruxism if you experience the following symptoms:
- Frequent tension headaches or migraines
- Teeth that are very worn, flattened, cracked, or chipped
- Indentations on the side of the tongue
- Jaw pain or tightness in the jaw muscles
- Chronic facial pain
- Ear pain and ringing in the ears
- A tired feeling in the jaw muscles
- Worn tooth enamel, exposing the inner layers of the tooth
Do I need a bite splint?
If you suffer from the symptoms of bruxism, a bite splint may be needed to protect your teeth and relieve your discomfort. To learn more about bite splints and to schedule your individual consultation with our knowledgeable dentists, we welcome you to call or visit our dental office soon. Dr. Ferguson and Dr. Smith are dedicated to improving your smile!